What is the difference between a CFL and an LED lamp?
1. To produce light, a CFL uses mercury vapour and phosphor while an LED lamp uses semiconductor material.
2. The average life span of a CFL is much longer than that of an LED lamp.
3. A CFL is less energy-efficient as compared to an LED lamp.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Which of the following statements is / are correct?
1. Viruses lack enzymes necessary for the generation of energy.
2. Viruses can be cultured in any synthetic medium.
3. Viruses are transmitted from one organism to another by biological vectors only.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below.
The function of heavy water in a nuclear reactor is to
Consider the statements with reference to ‘Ebola Virus’
1. Fruit bats and animals like monkeys are natural hosts.
2. It spreads through direct contact with the blood, secretions, body fluids and aerosol transmission.
3. It can be diagnosed through electron microscopy and ELISA test only.
Correct statement is/are
Fruits stored in a cold chamber exhibit longer storage life because
Many transplanted seedlings do not grow because
Which among the following are ‘Nocturnal’ in nature?
India-based Neutrino Observatory is included by the Planning Commission as a mega science project under the 11th five-Year Plan. In this context, consider the following statements:
1. Neutrinos are chargeless elementary particles that travel close to the speed of light.
2. Neutrinos are created in nuclear reactions of beta decay.
3. Neutrinos have a negligible, but nonzero mass.
4. Trillions of Neutrinos pass through human body every second.
Which of the statements given above are correct ?
“A solar flare is a sudden flash of brightness observed over the Sun’s surface or the solar limb, which is interpreted as a large energy release”. Consider the statements with reference to it
Correct code is/are
Satellites used for telecommunication relay are kept in a geostationary orbit. A satellite is said to be in such an orbit when:
1. The orbit is geosynchronous.
2. The orbit is circular,
3. The orbit lies in the plane of the Earth’s equator.
4. The orbit is at an altitude of 22,236 km.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
Mercury and its compounds are toxic; despite it is used in variety of products. It is used in
Select the correct codes
‘Ethanol’ has widespread usages and application. Consider the statements with reference to it
The surface of a lake is frozen in severe winter, but the water at its bottom is still liquid. What is the reason?
Recently a ban on burning of tires was making news. Consider the statement with reference to it.
1. It cannot cause cancer.
2. It releases SO2, CO2 and oxides of nitrogen
3. It can result in mutation
4. It can emit toxic aromatic hydrocarbons
Consider the following phenomena:
1. Size of the sun at dusk
2. Colour of the sun at dawn
3. Moon being visible at dawn
4. Twinkle of stars in the sky
5. Polestar being visible in the sky
Which of the above are optical illusions?
‘Neutrino’ has been quite frequent in news due to important scientific research. What are the possible sources of neutrinos?
Correct codes are-
Which of the following can be as a result of ‘Malnutrition’?
The term ‘Polymorphism’ is associated with
2. Material science
3. Computer science
Recombinant DNA technology (Genetic Engineering) allows genes to be transferred
1. Across different species of plants.
2. From animals to plants.
3. From microorganisms to higher organisms.
Select the correct solution using the codes given below.
A married couple adopted a male child, A few years later; twin boys were born to them. The blood group of the couple is AB positive and O negative. The blood group of the three sons is A positive, B positive, and O positive. The blood group of the adopted son is
Which of the following is/are the example/examples of chemical change?
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
A genetically engineered form of brinjal, known as the Bt-brinjal, has been developed. The objective of this is
Graphene is frequently in news recently. What is its importance?
1. It is a two-dimensional material and has good electrical conductivity.
2. It is one of the thinnest but strongest materials tested so far.
3. It is entirely made of silicon and has high optical transparency.
4. It can be used as ‘conducting electrodes’ required for touch screens, LCDs and organic LEDs.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
What is “Virtual Private Network”?
Consider the following plants:
4. Curry leaf Plant
Which of these plants are propagated by stem cuttings?
Consider the statements about ‘Dark Energy and Dark Matter’.
Correct statement(s) is/are
Consider the following:
1. Electromagnetic radiation
2. Geothermal energy
3. Gravitational force
4. Plate movements
5. Rotation of the earth
6. Revolution of the earth
Which of the above are responsible for bringing dynamic changes on the surface of the earth?
During a thunderstorm, the thunder in the skies is produced by the
1. Meeting of cumulonimbus clouds in the sky
2. Lightning that separates the nimbus clouds
3. Violent upward movement of air and water particles